Caroline Kathleen Blair

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Ainsley Christine Blair

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A Working Mother...

I have been a bit mum about my current professional situation, but today seems like the best day to divulge my secret information... So, I have been interviewing the past few weeks with a non-profit organization that is very near and dear to my heart...one in which I have a strong passion for their mission, as it certainly hits me personally. The American Diabetes Association or ADA.

A month or so ago I stumbled upon an opportunity at the ADA that I just couldn't pass up and had to learn more... It was a Campaign Manager position for their Step Out program (a yearly walk to raise money for the organization). This position is responsible for all the details of the walk in Cincinnati and is held in October... Well, I decided to apply for the position as it is somewhat similar to my last position (Team in Training Campaign Coordinator with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society) and not to mention my strong desire to want to help find a cure for this disease, which has been a part of most of my husband's life. I went through a series of interviews for the position and today I was notified that I GOT THE JOB! That's right, I got a full-time job at the ADA!

Now comes the tough part... I have been a "stay-at-home" mom for over a year now and I know that re-entering the workforce will be quite a transition, one that I have thought about for months and months! I know I have mentioned in the past that I grew up with a mother, who worked while my brother and I were growing up. She was such an inspiration to both of us. She has by far the strongest work ethic I have ever seen. She was in all respects a "supermom!" My decision to go back to work is not to follow in my mother's footsteps, however, she is someone I admire and do not mind somewhat emulating. My desire to go back to work is in all honesty FOR ME. Maybe it sounds selfish, but that is not the intention. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time as a stay-at-home mother, but I just find that there is something missing for me. I miss the adult interaction. I miss having something that is just mine. I miss utilizing my passion for helping a cause (this cause is one worth working for)! This may sound self-indulging, but I miss utilizing my professional strengths! I have always seen myself as a people person and a creative thinker and I know I can put these qualities to good use in this position.

Of course, there will be so many things that I will miss while I am working... I will miss my little girl smiling at me all day long. I will miss our daily adventures all over the city. I will miss our lunch dates. I will miss putting her down for a nap. I will miss Caroline! BUT...my decision to go back to work will NOT compromise our relationship! I will still be her mother. Best friend. Lifeline. Dance partner. Dinner date. Lead singer. Bath washer. Back rubber. Hair brusher. Handholder. Booboo fixer. Storyteller. Toast maker. Zoo companion. Park companion. Swing pusher. And sooooo much more!

I have a few days to officially accept my new position, but I am confident that I am making the right decision and will graciously say YES! I know there may be some people who think this is not what is best for our family, but I can assure them that I would NEVER compromise our family or my relationship with my daughter. This decision is not going to make my relationship with my daughter any less. Perhaps she will look up to me the way I look up to my mother...with the utmost respect and admiration.

The next few days will entail us finding a day care facility that will be best suited for Caroline. Right now, The Goddard School is looking to be the best option for us, so please pray that my meeting with them goes well tomorrow.

I will certainly keep you all up to speed on the newest chapter of "It's A Blair Life."

"I will ALWAYS be Caroline's mother no matter what!"







post signature

4 comments:

Jodi said...

Leanne, as long as your new job doesn't take you away from your blog updates:) Just kidding. Congrats to you and your family. I have seen first hand how much you have loved being with Caroline this year and even though she is still little, that time is going to impact her for the rest of her life. I know too that you are going to do a great job picking out a place for her to be each day as you have been that place for so long and only want the best.
I'm so glad too that you have a support in place for the times that it might not be easy to leave.
This job sounds like a great fit for you. Keep us posted on how things turn out for you all!

Danielle said...

Leanne, if you want to do it - go for it. When we moms take care of ourselves, then we take better care of our families. NOTHING will stop you from being an excellent mom.

Anonymous said...

congratulations on your new job! the stay-home-or-go-to-work decision is such an individual one--it's not fair for others (or selves) to judge. you're not being self-indulgent! you're focusing on what will make you a happy, fulfilled person, which will make you a better mom!

--katie

The Riggs Family said...

Congrats Leanne! I hope everything goes well with Goddard.