Tonight Matt and I went with our friends Sandy and Nick to the Western & Southern Financial Master's Open, a major tennis tournament in Cincinnati. I truly know nothing about tennis, but lucky for me my husband and friends do and were able to teach me a bit. This tournament is held every year in Mason, Ohio and brings in huge tennis stars, not that I know many of them, but I do know that Andy Roddick and the Williams' sisters have been participants in the past. Oh, and I also learned that you really are not supposed to talk during the match...unless they're between matches. Sandy and I were chatting very quietly, but this woman in front of us kept giving us "the look."
We were able to watch two matches. The first one between Dmitry Tursunov and Murat Safin and the second between Donald Young and Gael Monfils (yes, Sandy and Nick, I looked them up). I talked through most of the matches and occasionally did the head bob...back and forth, back and forth. However, I paid most attention to the Dmitry Tursunov and Murat Safin match. Tursunov ended up winning due to the fact that Safin QUIT with one point to go. He would have lost anyway, but he obviously wanted to be able to say he quit instead of was beaten. It was ridiculous! I was dumbfounded. Who quits in a major sporting event in front of a thousand or so people? So...I may know little about tennis, but I am pretty sure that this Safin character is an idiot! He gets paid to play tennis in front of thousands...and quit because he was losing! LOSER! :) That's my rant about this adventure.
This was a really fun event and was worth going to. There was even lots of shopping to be had! Who knew tennis outfits were soooo cute! Our husbands bought tennis shorts and we all decided we had to play tennis together. So I, in the heat of excitement, called my mom from the match and asked if she'd babysit on Sunday so the four of us could play. So, Sandy and Nick...it's on...a match between the Gemmel's and Blair's!
This was a really fun event and was worth going to. There was even lots of shopping to be had! Who knew tennis outfits were soooo cute! Our husbands bought tennis shorts and we all decided we had to play tennis together. So I, in the heat of excitement, called my mom from the match and asked if she'd babysit on Sunday so the four of us could play. So, Sandy and Nick...it's on...a match between the Gemmel's and Blair's!





1 comment:
It's funny to me that you know nothing about tennis. I used to be a player way back in the day and would spend all of my time at the ATP's when it was in town. Once you learn how to play and polish up your skills Chris and I will challenge you to a match :)
Post a Comment