As most of you know, I decided not to go back to work for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society after having baby Caroline in June. There were many reasons I made this decision. 1. The money in non-profit is not too substantial and it didn't make sense to work, just to pay for child care. 2. I wanted to stay home for a while with baby Caroline to get some much needed mother-daughter bonding. (That way when she's 14 and wanting nothing to do with me, I can still relish our time spent together when she was a baby)
Now, Miss Caroline is 7 months old (in a few days) and I am pondering the idea of going back into the "real world." I have applied for a few different positions and actually had two fantastic interviews with two different companies. Both positions involve marketing, project management and lots of people interaction; all which I love. I should know something from both interviews sometime this week.
The anticipation as to whether I will get either position is certainly elevated. Also, the thought that if I do obtain one of these positions...that really means, I'm going BACK TO WORK - FULL TIME! That thought is exciting and scary at the same time. Exciting because I do miss the adult interaction, responsibility and "career" that I once had in previous positions. Scary because that means my little princess will have to go to a sitter's house or day care and I will not spend as much time with her.
The topic of working mother's versus non-working mother's is always a "hot topic." It seems that everyone has an opinion on the subject and certainly isn't scared to tell you... I do know this... I know that I grew up in a very loving home with a mother and father who worked while my brother and I were growing up. And I have nothing but admiration for both of my parents. Their selflessness and hard work enabled us to have so many fantastic experiences as a family and as individuals. (Europe, Central America, Carribean, museum's, weekend excursions, camp, soccer, basketball, diving, swimming, gymnastics and a fabulous education at the University of South Carolina (Miss Caroline's future alma mater), and so much more).
I guess the bottom line is, God doesn't present us with more than we can handle. So if I am supposed to go back to work full-time, than it will happen. No matter what decision is made, neither choice is deffective to myself nor my little princess.




2 comments:
Hey Leanne--
It's a very personal topic, yeah, but in spending more than 8 years now on message boards of various kinds but nearly all with a parent-focus, I can tell you that the SAH/WOH "debate" is pretty much a hot topic for people who are new or not too far into to the parent-world. I think it's for several reasons but mostly due to everything being so new and overwhelming that militancy is a comforting position (no matter what side). Everyone wants to believe s/he chose The Right Way® while everyone else is WRONG®. Just my observations over the years. :-)
Most people, though, come to realize that the only Right Way® is the one that works for your personal family.
You'll figure it out. And nothing says once you decide on one way that you can never go the other at some other point in time!
Leanne,
I believe that both ways work for you. I honestly believe it depends on you, your family and your children. I myself, most of the time, love staying at home with our children. There are advantages and disadvantages. I do miss the adult interaction and "use of brain power." But, currently we feel it very important for me to stay home and raise our children. Believe it or not, I am more nervous about going back after almost 2.5 years because I will have to re-teach myself new things. If you choose to place Caroline in daycare, DO NOT, feel like you have let her down. She will still love you the same. She will probably love the interaction with other children. It would also be nice to have some extra money also (after daycare expenses.) There are pro's and con's to both sides. You and your family will make the right decision for yourselves. Hang in there.
Good Luck with the house also. If you go back to work outside the home, lets please get together before to just chat.
thanks
Melissa Migal
Post a Comment