Caroline Kathleen Blair

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Ainsley Christine Blair

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, September 22, 2008

Sick Little Princess...

Caroline was able to see the doctor this morning at 10am and was quickly diagnosed with an eye infection AND bronchitis! Not so fun. She is now on eye gel and an antibiotic. Hopefully she'll feel better soon. Her eyes look pitiful. She and I had to stay home today because she really isn't well enough to be around other kids. So, we are held up in the house... Oh what fun! Lucky for Caroline she is exhausted and will probably nap a good bit of the day. For me...while I'm obviously on the computer and hope to get a little bit of work done from home...

On a similar note, Caroline is due to go back to the doctor next Monday for another doctor's appointment to get her 15 month check-up as well as her MMR and flu shot. I have never been alarmed over vaccinations, as I have read enough and chatted enough with informed people to know that vaccines DO NOT cause autism or any other disability. After chatting at length this morning with Dr. Brown, I am more confident than ever that we are making the right decision to get Caroline vaccinated in the appropriate fashion. Dr. Brown emphasized that according to the American Academy of Pediatrics as well as the Autism Society of America, there is absolutely NO LINK between autism and vaccines. What has happened is that doctors are now just diagnosing more children than they did back in the day due to the fact that doctors are more knowledgeable on the subject (and there is a lot of over diagnosis). Dr. Brown and I were discussing the fact that back in the day there was always one or two "different" kids in your grade school classes, who acted out or pitched a fit. They may have acted in such a way because of their home environment or maybe they were just having a bad day... Well, today, those kids are being diagnosed with anything under the sun and then prescribed medicine. Dr. Brown and I both thought this to be unacceptable. What about those kids back in the day, who weren't very social and didn't really fit in with other kids, well today, those kids are now considered autistic, instead of just being considered "different." I think the vaccines have nothing to do with the influx of autism/bipolar diagnoses in our children, instead, people just aren't as accepted as they once were and the powers that be deem it necessary to attach a label to them instead of just assuming they are different... The outbreak of over diagnosed children is astounding, that's for sure!

That's my rant for the day! I will leave you with pictures of my eye infested child, who absolutely loves her baby dolls, even if she doesn't feel good! (This is from this morning before we went to the doctor's...she loves to put her babies to sleep, give them bottles and pat them on the back...so cute).









A video of Caroline and her baby doll (sorry about the quality, it's taken from my camera)





post signature

2 comments:

The Riggs Family said...

I hope she is feeling better. I agree with you 100% on the vaccine thing and can tell you first hand stories of kids who have been diagnosed with "something" they probably really don't have (but a diagnosis makes some parents feel better I guess). I read an article recently that compared parents who don't vaccinate to parasites (not that they are), but just in the sense that they are relying on other parents to vaccinate the other kids so that they (the non-vaxxing ones) don't have to vaccinate. If no one vaccinated, we'd all be in trouble.

Anyway....have a great rest of the week!

Leanne B. said...

I agree. Dr. Brown actually said that if parents refuse to have their kids vaccinated, their practice makes them find somewhere else to go.

She also emphasized not letting your child play with kids who aren't getting vaccinated...