Today is my mom's 60th Birthday! She probably doesn't want me writing that on here as she's not too thrilled to turn 60. I think she looks great for 60!
This morning we went to my Grandma's house for her traditional birthday breakfast. She always cooks breakfast for everyone's birthday. And always cooks WAY TOO MUCH FOOD. As she has aged, she has started to cook rather random foods, like french fries for BREAKFAST. She used to be one of the best cooks I know, but sadly, I think as she's gotten older and her health has deteriorated a bit, it's certainly not what it used to be. Another one of my Grandma's traditions, especially during birthday's, is that she ALWAYS serves angel food cake. Now, I'm not sure if anyone in our family actually likes it, but we always have to eat it no matter what. And once Matt joined our family, it was inevitable that we would definitely NEVER see a non-angel food cake at her house. My Grandma has the very old school mentality of diabetes, therefore, she thinks since Matt is diabetic, he should NEVER eat any sugar related substances. She finds angel food cake to be a diabetic friendly food. I find it comical, as she always makes a big deal out of what is being served when he is around...and I always tell her that he can eat like a normal person, as it's about moderation. I guess it's true what they say, older people are set in their ways! Of course, we love her nonetheless!
This morning we went to my Grandma's house for her traditional birthday breakfast. She always cooks breakfast for everyone's birthday. And always cooks WAY TOO MUCH FOOD. As she has aged, she has started to cook rather random foods, like french fries for BREAKFAST. She used to be one of the best cooks I know, but sadly, I think as she's gotten older and her health has deteriorated a bit, it's certainly not what it used to be. Another one of my Grandma's traditions, especially during birthday's, is that she ALWAYS serves angel food cake. Now, I'm not sure if anyone in our family actually likes it, but we always have to eat it no matter what. And once Matt joined our family, it was inevitable that we would definitely NEVER see a non-angel food cake at her house. My Grandma has the very old school mentality of diabetes, therefore, she thinks since Matt is diabetic, he should NEVER eat any sugar related substances. She finds angel food cake to be a diabetic friendly food. I find it comical, as she always makes a big deal out of what is being served when he is around...and I always tell her that he can eat like a normal person, as it's about moderation. I guess it's true what they say, older people are set in their ways! Of course, we love her nonetheless!
Tonight, we are having my family over for dinner for another celebration of my mom's big day! And I am excited to report that no angel food cake will be served! :)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY NANA!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY NANA!
Uncle Scott and his little friend
The infamous flaming angel food cake (sometimes she sticks decorative "house" candles on the cake...and there have been times we've even seen ceramic birds on top...oh her creativity is endless!)





1 comment:
The really funny thing about the cake is that angel food cake has a ton of sugar in it! I think the reason people think of it as healthy is that it is "low fat"- because of all of the egg whites but it is loaded with sugar- unless Grandma is into splenda:)
I love it though. Did you cook for your mom too?
Post a Comment