Caroline Kathleen Blair

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Ainsley Christine Blair

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, May 28, 2010

Milk Allergy...Reflux...Colic...2 Children...Oh My!

Our darling Miss Ainsley is truly a joyous addition to our family, however, she has certainly been vocal since her arrival... I read somewhere that babies that cry 3 hours a day for 3 days or more are considered "colic." Well...we certainly have that covered... Ainsley has been diagnosed with a milk allergy and potentially a reflux candidate as well as having colic, not to mention I'm pretty sure she is unsure of how to poop! She's currently on the most expensive "hypo-allergenic" formula out there and taking 2 doses of reflux medication daily and I have to assist her in pooping almost daily... I keep hearing it will get better, I just hope that time is soon! It's so hard to watch your child cringe in pain and cry so much!

Despite all these concerns, she has truly been a delightful addition and her big sister, Caroline, adores her! Caroline wants to help me all the time, which is adorable!

I have to say, however, the transition from one to two is DRASTICALLY different than the transition for no children to one! It is amazing, but is also challenging, at least at the beginning. With one, you have sleepless nights, but can certainly still sleep during the day when the baby is sleeping... That is NOT the case when there is an infant and toddler involved! The first two weeks of Ainsley's life were filled with joy, anxiety and exhaustion. I have to say as much as I was thrilled to have her here with our family, it was still a bit stressful and exhausting. Now, she is almost 6 weeks old and I feel less stressed and more rested. She eats nearly every 3 hours and sleeps from 11:30pm - 5am; 5:30am - 8:30am (most nights). I strongly believe getting babies on a schedule is important, not only for our family, but for the baby as well. The books, 12 Hours By 12 Weeks and BabyWise are life-saving! Needless to say, I hope in a few weeks we will be able to put Caroline and Ainsley to bed at 8pm and hopefully they will wake up at 8am! This was the case for Caroline at 12 weeks and I can only hope that this is true for Miss Ainsley... Although, these two peanuts have been pretty different thus far... Caroline seldomly cried and had no food/bowel issues...

I would have to say, I wouldn't change anything. Having Ainsley in our family was truly meant to be and we could not be more thrilled to have her with us! It will be such a joy to watch her and Caroline grow up together and (hopefully) become best friends!

Here are a few pictures of our darling girls!











post signature

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Poor little one:( I forget which one of our kids had pooping issues but it was painful to watch. We learned a few tricks to help-that I will not post. But if you're interested I'll share:) You are right about the lack of naps when you have two-although I always made sure that at least for the afternoon nap I was napping. It was and still is the only way we survive:) Love the pictures!